Low carb diets are diets which aim on cutting down on carbs and limiting the carb intake to help reduce body fat and lose weight, the way it works is by cutting down on carbohydrates the body burns fat for energy instead of glucose from carbohydrates and this causes weight loss and a decrease in body fat but these kinds of diets also cause nutritional problems for the dieters. There are various arguments whether low carb diets really work or not along with certain aspects about the diet and this article talks about the facts and fictions of this diet.
- Low carb diet works or not: This is one of the main arguments regarding this diet and to answer that question, yes low carb diet does work to help lose weight and harmful body fat as it has shown to be effective by over 20 scientific studies as it reduces the amount of glucose in the liver and muscles which in turn reduces water weight and studies show that they cause a greater reduction in harmful belly fat from the liver and abdomen.
- All Carbs are bad: Most people who follow the low carb diet believe that all carbs are bad but that is false as there are healthy carbs that you should eat like whole grains, fruits and green vegetables, dieters can also balance low-glycemic carbs like oats and sweet potatoes with fruits, vegetables and lean protein which gives them enough energy to last the day. Having a healthy intake of carbs is important and helps the body perform better.
- Low carb diet causes nutrients deficiency: If a person eats a well formed low carb diet it provides enough nutrients to the body, food items like pork, chicken liver, peanuts, asparagus, spinach, strawberry, avocado and more give enough vitamin and nutrients to meet the requirements for an adult. Low carb does not cause nutrient deficiency if the diet is balanced and well formulated.
- Low Carb diet is bad for the heart: This is not necessarily true, due to the high cholesterol and saturated fat intake in low carb diets this belief has risen among people but there has been no direct link as studies have observed increased cardio health as the blood triglycerides go way down, blood pressure also goes down and so on but there are some people who have experienced heart problems while on a low carb diet.
- Lots of meat and no veggies: The belief that low carb diet involves a lot of meat and not eating vegetables is false as even though there are people like body builders who eat meat only there are also people who eat vegetables, fruits nuts etc without exceeding their carb intake per day, there are many vegetarians who follow a low carb diet although getting all the nutrients and vitamins can be a bit hard for them.
Low carb diet has it cons and pros and it all comes down to how you manage your diet and as long as you get your nutrients and vitamins from your low carb diet it is ok, if you face any health problems then be sure to go for a check-up and re-evaluate your diet.